Monday, January 12, 2015

Transfer time

To give his letter a little context, to be funny, I often put in the subject line for his emails something silly. This week I went with a little Cockney Allo Guvna! Also Michael and I have been asked to speak in church in a few weeks and the topic is parenting. I was asking for his advice and feelings about how we could have been better about encouraging testimonies in the home. Here's the latest:

That's a funny title, mostly because my new companion is from London (but he was born in Austria). I can't spell his last name for the life of me so he is called Elder E. I'm also going to a new area called Krefeld (pronounced Cray-failed) so I am way nervous about going to a German area again, (he has been in a military English only area for about 6 months)I totally am lacking in the language! Thankfully though, I am kept humble by hard and trying times. 

I'm still in Bitburg until Thursday. [they speak] Platt Deutsch in Krefeld  [which] is super hard to understand, a few people in Aachen spoke it and it sounds to me  like a completely different language, it sounds like French! 

I'm sure you guys will do fine with your talks, I'm pretty sure no one is a professional parent. My testimony didn't even begin to start growing until after I finished High school. My testimony is strong now and it has only come through reading my scriptures and praying. All of us need to get down on our knees constantly and ask God if his church is true, if Joseph Smith was a prophet, if the Book of Mormon is true, etc... If you don't have a testimony it's easier to want to hang out with the "in" crowd and do "cool" stuff, because you don't know what  Heavenly Father wants for you. Parents can ask their children if they have prayed with a sincere desire, if they read the scriptures.  Also do the things you need to be doing; read your scriptures, pray, go to the temple often and regularly. That's what all faithful saints need to do. The power of example is more forceful than a heavy hand. I'm no parent, That's just how we help others here come closer to Christ. 

Love Elder Brande

Here's a map of the city he is going to. He's been in a rural area for a while and this looks much more urban. It borders the Netherlands and looks like it gets a lot of rain. I checked the weather for next week and it looks like it will rain and snow every  day of the week but one. He'll love that! Not!
Source:Wikipedia 



No comments:

Post a Comment